Single Android 2.2
The below tutorial outlines how to run single instance of virtualized Android on TI OMAP4 dual core Cortex-A9 panda board, using the pre-built binaries.
- The following demo is for RevC release of panda boards, having OMAP 4430 processors.
- We will run single instance of virtualized Android kernel over the Codezero hypervisor.
- Android will boot using the filesystem present on the SD card.
- Android kernel as well as filesystem are based on L_27.8 pandroid, based on 2.2 Froyo Android, release by Texas Instruments.
- RevC panda board.
- 4GB SDHC memory card.
- Serial to USB converter.
- HDMI display.
- USB mouse/keyboard, preferably a wireless USB dongle over which both keyboard and mouse can work together.
Downloading the pre-built binaries
Download binaries from here. It contains the following files
- MLO – X-Loader
- u-boot.bin – U-boot
- final.elf – ELF file containing Codezero, and Android kernels
- pandroid.tar.bz2 – Android filesystem tarball
- panda-formatsd.sh – Script to format SD card
Setting up the demo
Format the SD card using
$ sudo panda-formatsd.sh /dev/sdX; here sdX is the block device corresponding to the SD card.
This will create a FAT partition named boot, and an EXT3 partition named rootfs on the SD card.
Eject and re-plug the card on the host.
Copy MLO, u-boot.bin, and final.elf files in the boot partition of the SD card.
Extract the Android filesystem in rootfs partition of the SD card
$ cd rootfs $ sudo tar -xvf pandroid.tar.bz2 $ sudo mv pandroid-neon/* .
Plug the SD card, HDMI display and USB keyboard/mouse to the panda board.
Connect the serial port of panda board to the host using serial to usb converter. And attach minicom to the serial converter device to get the panda boot logs and serial console
$ minicom -D /dev/ttyUSBn; here /dev/ttyUSBn is the usb to serial converter device.
Configure Minicom’s serial port for following settings
Baud Rate: 115200n8 Hardware flow control: OFF Software flow control: OFF
Power on the board.
Successful setup will result in Android shell appearing on Minicom and Android GUI on HDMI screen.
Building from sources
Check the Building from Source for Panda page for instructions on building Codezero and Android kernels from the sources.
TO BE ADDED